Attending the Haven Conference
Hi there friend!
So last week was a very exciting week for me because it was my first time attending the Haven Conference! What is the Haven Conference you ask? Well I’ll tell ya all about it! Haven is a 3 day conference held annually, usually in Atlanta, GA. However, this year it was in Charleston, SC. In a nutshell it’s a place where bloggers, diyers, influencers, makers, and general creatives come together to learn more about their niche and how to prosper within it. Or maybe they come because it’s SO MUCH FUN!
*Side note: all opinions are my own and this is just my personal perspective of my first time Haven experience 😉
Courses at the Haven Conference
When attending the Haven Conference you’ll have plenty of courses or classes to choose from. Haven offers specific courses on how to grow your blog, monetize your blog, and build your brand. They also offer courses on Social Media, videography, and photography. Oh and of course I can’t forget all the hands on diy classes they have there too! So yes, lot’s of learning takes place and I, as a newbie to all this, was on information overload! In the best way possible of course! 😉 I believe if you go to the Haven site you can view the schedule to get a better idea of the courses they offered and how they’re scheduled.
You’ll see that because of the way they’re scheduled, you can’t take all the courses. So I chose focus on blog specific ones that will help me learn more about how to grow my blog. And let me tell ya, there’s so much to know and I learned a TON! Some of which I’ve started implementing as we speak 😉
Mentor Groups at the Haven Conference
They also assign you to a mentor group. Once a day you meet with your mentor group which was lead by a mentor blogger. I can’t speak to what other groups used this time for, but we used it to share the biggest takeaways from the courses we were attending and also to ask questions in an open discussion where we shared other information.
Who Was My Mentor at Haven?
Honestly, I found this part of Haven invaluable! This is probably mostly because I won the lottery when it came to mentors! I was assigned to Liz and Jose Galvan’s group aka Liz from Liz Marie Blog! It was an amazing experience to not only speak with them about their blogging journey but ask them questions too! And if you’re wondering is she as nice as she seems on social media and her blog? No, she’s even sweeter! 😉
Brands and Vendors at the Haven Conference
Haven lined the hotel hallways and ballroom with companies who want to me you and possible collaborate with you. During any down time you’re able to walk around introduce yourself, learn about their products, and how you might want to work with each company. Examples of some who attended this year: Home Depot, Behr Paint, Antique Candle Works, Quickrete, and so many more! It was amazing to be able to speak with these companies to share ideas and learn how to collaborate with them.
Networking at the Haven Conference
I met so many amazing women! This was probably the most meaningful part to me, especially because it was my first year attending. Blogging can be somewhat isolating. If it wouldn’t be for Instagram I wouldn’t really have much contact with fellow bloggers. However, Haven changed all that! Every course I took, every meal I ate, basically every time I sat down introductions were made and business cards were exchanged. It was an amazing atmosphere where everyone just wanted to get to know everyone else and pick each other’s brains! The best part is that through all this amazing energy and conversation I know that lifelong friendships were formed!
More Information About Attending the Haven Conference
I polled Instagram, by the way if you don’t follow me on there you’re totally missing out @midcounty_journal 😉 And ask for specific questions people wanted to know about the conference. I addressed most of them above and I’ll answer the rest below but let me know if there’s anything else you’d like to know in the comments!
- Who attends? Anyone really! I met bloggers, social media influencers, shop owners, diy lovers, and so on! You don’t have to have a blog to attend Haven!
- What to bring? Read the courses ahead to see if you need a camera for the photography classes etc. I didn’t bring my laptop and probably won’t next year either, simply because I like to hand write notes, I flew and didn’t want to worry about bringing it, and at the end of the days I was too pooped to use it lol! Also I highly reccomend a second suitcase if you fly because of the awesome enormous swag bag that you get!
- What to wear? I went casually/dressy. I was more worried to be too underdressed than overdressed, just my rule of thumb. But this just meant a cute comfy romper, white jeans and a cute top, a comfy skirt and a tee. I thought about this a lot so I may to an article specifically on what I wore hmmm… Anyway whatever you wear be comfy and be you!
- Was it worth the money to attend? Absolutely! Between the courses and speaking to other bloggers the knowledge I gained about the blogging world is huge! And it’s not something that can be replicated through an online course! The three days are jam packed with information and networking and it’s amazing! I’m already excited about next year!
- Biggest Takeaway? This is the hardest question to answer. From a blogging point of view I’d says hands down the information I walked away with. But from a personal perspective let me just say that flying across the country to attend a conference about blogging, something I’m fairly new to, where I know no one was beyond intimating. We’re talking some big time anxiety occurred lol! But I pushed myself and did it anyway! My first time attending the Haven conference has widened my perspective as a blogger and as a gal pursuing her dreams!
And I’m so very glad to have you along for the ride!