DIY Embroidery Hoop Wreaths
Hello there buddies!
I’m so excited to share this fun little diy project I decided to do last weekend! I have been looking for something to replace the “TODAY IS A GOOD DAY FOR A GOOD DAY” sign in our sunroom. Originally I had wanted to hang a botanical wall scroll there but didn’t find one I just fell in love with. Then while shopping at Hobby Lobby for a specific wreath they happened to be out of, I thought why not just make my own? If you aren’t on Instagram you might not know her, but if you are and don’t follow her, well then you’re seriously missing out! Haha her name is Erin @cottonstem and she shared the brilliant idea of using embroidery hoops as wreaths. So thank you so much for the inspiration Erin! And here’s my take on her idea 🙂
This is the area, which obviously used to be a window. We simply drywalled the center because removing it would mean messing up the original bead board. Instead I chose to make the most of the space and use it as a “framed focal point”. 🙂 Before I made the wreaths I had to remove the letters, fill in the holes the screws had left, and then paint this area. I used the same paint I used on our walls in the rest of the house. The color Delicate White by Olympic, is a soft slightly warmer white 🙂 * Side note – sorry for the bad lighting in some pics this lil project ended in the evening!
What You’ll Need
- embroidery hoops (I choose a random assortment of sizes)
- greenery or florals
- wire cutters
- hot glue
- jute string
I bent the stems of my greenery to see about how much I wanted per wreath bundle. Then I snipped them away from the main center stem. The greenery I chose is from Hobby Lobby, regularly $9.99 but I got it 50% off and only needed 1 bundle.
After all the stems were separated I actually pulled the smaller ones (they slide) off the long single stems to and then combined them with another stem. Basically I transferred all the foliage from one stem to another so that they were doubled up. Then I kept adding depending on the size of the hoop they were going on.
Pulling them off allows you to create smaller or bigger bundles. You can then add as many sections to a single stem as you want. I used bigger sections on the bigger hoops and smaller sections on the smaller hoops.
After I figured out the greenery situation I played around with the hoops and greenery on the floor until I found an arrangement I liked 🙂 I recommend snapping a pic of the arrangement for later.
After deciding on where I wanted the greenery I marked the spot with a pencil. Then I hot glued the greenery on. After the glue was dry I wrapped this section with the jute string so that it’s covered. And….that’s it! So simple!
Hanging the Hoops
When all the hoops were done I cut the strings to hang them extra long so I would have room to move them up or down as I wanted. I started by hanging the biggest hoop where I wanted it and then just worked out from there.
I would hold the string against the wall to find the spot for the nail first. Then after I hammered in the nail I could adjust the height of the string. After I was happy with the lengths I simple tied them around the nail and cut of the excess string.
This was such an easy project and also very inexpensive! The hoops varied in price but the small ones were only $1.29 each and the largest one was $3.99. I already had the glue and jute but even if you didn’t I’d say you could do this project for between $20-$25. I’d say for the impact it makes in a space that’s a lot of bang for your buck!
This is one of my favorite little diy projects I’ve done in awhile! It really had brightened the space so much! I hope you enjoyed it to and feel inspired to do a little diy-in around your home!
Thank you so so much for following along!